I was asked, somewhat out of the blue, what I wish I’d learned in school, and I thought it an interesting question. I also thought it worth putting out to a slightly broader audience.
So, here’re some off-the-cuff thoughts about what I wish I’d learned in school:
- meta-cognitive and meta-learning skills (e.g. the SCANS competencies beyond the basic skills)
- that it is ok to fail, and that persistence and effort is as much a part of learning as achievement
- that your epistemological beliefs – what you believe learning is – affect your outcomes
- how to work in groups on projects
- about design, and the value of feedback and revision
- how reflection on process is as important as reflection on product
These are just a few thoughts, but it’s a start. And let me ask what you wish you’d learned in school?